The Howard M. Metzenbaum Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, opened in 1910. A historic five-story, granite-faced courthouse and the original main Cleveland post office building. Originally known as the Old Federal Building and Post Office, the building was renamed in 1998 in honor of U.S. Senator Howard M. Metzenbaum. Following the construction of a separate new Federal Court Building, this facility underwent a complete renovation project to restore public spaces and courtrooms; and, to provide better access and modernize the mechanical systems.
New ADA entrance ramps were added in the front areaways. Vertical circulation was added to the existing reconfigured structure, along with modernization of primary mechanical, electrical, and plumbing.
The 5-level central atrium roof structure is comprised of interconnecting (3-dimensional) architecturally exposed structural steel pipe trusses supported by just four new columns. The typical main trusses have an architecturally arched bottom chord with gable shaped top chords. The structure was built within the perimeter roof profile (above the existing lightwell-courtyard) thus creating multiple snow, snowdrift, unbalanced snow and wind loading conditions.