The Cleveland Athletic Club was constructed in 1911 and was designed by J. Milton Dyer, the prominent Cleveland architect who also designed Cleveland City Hall. The historic 15-story building is over 170 feet tall and served as the headquarters of the athletic organization that was founded in 1908. The building had been vacant since 2008, after the original 99-year lease expired.
Interior and exterior renovation and restoration of an existing 15-story, 253,000 SF multi-use athletic facility and office building into 160 residential units with first floor retail space. State and Federal tax credits were awarded to help fund the cost of the renovations which included restoring the Olympic sized pool on the 12th floor, installing a new ADA compliant elevator to access all floors, and building an access ramp down to the basement for parking.
Additional amenities include a fitness center and the reopening of the restored Olympic-sized swimming pool on the 12th floor, with running track above. The floors of the steel framed building were constructed of a 12” thick clay tile arch system that was commonplace during that era.
Structural modifications to infill existing floor openings and create new openings were required. New electrical transformers, located in the basement required the design and construction of a new electrical vault along the sidewalk on Euclid Ave. Upgrades were made to the existing elevators including enlarging one of the existing shafts to meet the ADA requirements of a larger cab. The larger floor openings for the ADA elevator required extensive structural renovations with considerable reworking of the floor structure around the pool and on the floors above including the elevator penthouse.