The Polsky building was constructed circa 1930 as a four story building and originally was known at the Polsky Department Store. A fifth floor was added circa 1941. The building is clad with ornate terra cotta and granite at grade. In 1987, the building was donated to the University of Akron who then converted it to classrooms and administrative offices.
In 2017, B&H was contracted to complete an exterior façade assessment to repair the deteriorating terra cotta. Work included removal and replacement of the terra cotta and parapet wall on the east and west elevations, removal and replacement of terra cotta headers, cutting back the South Main street canopy and installing new fiberglass facia and a new roof.
In addition, a lighting package was later added to install lights around the perimeter of the building. The lighting provided a color “up” lighting and “white” down lighting. The color lights can be changed by the University for different occasions.